Virtual Atlantic's SHUTTLE Custom Application Development builds software that helps businesses gain a competitive edge through wildly increased productivity. SHUTTLE Custom Business Software Solutions typically fall under one of three categories:
Program Management Software
Systems that support various business functions across the enterprise.
Systems Integration Software
Systems that integrate multiple data sources into a cohesive unit in order to support business functions.
Business Process Automation Software
Systems designed to automate business processes, dramatically increasing efficiencies.
Step by Step Process
- Define – Custom Software Development begins with a thorough analysis of the problem, project goals and requirements, and success metrics. This sets the tone for the rest of the project, especially regarding what shape the remainder of the process will take.
- Plan – Planning is a collaborative process between VA and our client, and often involves researching user needs, behavior, and motivations. The basic structure of the application starts to take shape at this time, along with the specification of some of its basic features.
- Design – Designing the application involves building process flows, specifying the core details of each module of the app, and wireframe prototyping. The wireframe prototype is an essential tool to visualize the layout and arrangement of the application’s core functionality, interface elements, and navigational systems. User testing may be conducted on prototypes in order to identify key usability or workflow deficiencies.
- Build – Development is typically completed on a per-module basis, and then shared with stakeholders and users in order to gather feedback. Code may be written from scratch, or a number of features may be pulled from the VA Code Library in order to save time. Often open-source resources will be used in combination with custom code in order to provide the solution.
- Test – Testing occurs regularly and on a per-module basis. This could include compatibility testing, usability testing, beta testing, system testing, or any number of quality-assurance related activities.
- Iterate – Depending on what’s found in testing, VA iterates and builds upon previous versions until requirements are met and the client has given final approval.
- Deploy – Deployment beings with the migration of the beta application to the live server. All programming features are double-checked to ensure they are working properly, and a follow-up meeting is conducted with the primary stakeholders in order to discuss ongoing application support.
- Maintain – Maintenance begins with careful monitoring of the live application. Services designed to enhance performance are conducted at this time, such as service-level agreements, and usability evaluations. Customers can also opt-in for ongoing consultative services, ensuring that their application’s feature set remains effective well into the future.
VA Code Library
Not all code is created equal. We have developed our own unique coding standards, design patterns, and techniques that combine the industry’s best practices to create truly elegant software. Our Code Library (maintained for over a decade) simplifies the development of rich, responsive, web, mobile, and tablet applications using MVC, jQuery, JSON, and other technologies. It streamlines development and eliminates common design errors, while remaining flexible enough to support nearly any kind of software application.
- Core Data Model – A standardized, extensible multi-tenant database architecture that provides a highly consistent and secure design pattern for ensuring that customer data remains isolated, while still maintaining a single database.
- Multi-Tenancy – Sophisticated multi-tenancy support, including multiple level hierarchies and cross site reporting.
- Authentication – Built on the standard ASP.NET MVC filter system, provides secure and robust user management options, including user security requirements mandated by laws such as HIPAA and PIPEDA.
- Authorization – Declarative role-based security allows developers to quickly define security rules for an application with minimal code.
- Templates – Advanced client side template functionality allows for extremely responsive applications, and enables support for other features such as offline mobile support.
- View Management – A lightweight system for managing a hierarchy of UI components. Provides simple initialization and resource management strategies for asynchronously loaded content.
- Data Binding – Reduce boilerplate by using simple, effective data binding tools.
- Declarative UI – Allows jQuery UI widgets, security constraints, and many other common concerns in UI development to be embedded directly in markup.
- List Editor – Provides an extensive system for curating all kinds of reference data — whether it’s a simple dropdown pick list or a rich multidimensional ontology with complex relationships, the List Editor provides a simple, consistent UI and data model for managing information.
- jQuery UI Extensions – Provides extensions for many common jQuery UI widgets to support large scale application development.
- Data Table – An extremely fast, flexible rendering system for tabular data.
- Scheduler – A scheduling component for any kind of recurring event, based on the flexible iCal standard.
- Dashboard – Provides access to your most important data in an attractive, easy to use format.
- Mobile UI – A suite of controls for development of advanced HTML5 mobile applications. The Surge Platform provides one of the few frameworks for developing offline mobile apps that’s production ready.
- Audit Trail – Automatically, robustly and transparently provides detailed change history for any data element. Auditing can be added to any data entity in a Surge Platform application with a single line of code.
- Attachments – File attachment system with support for pluggable back end storage. Default implementation based on a simple content-addressable data store.
- Batch Jobs – Flexible scheduling of background jobs that’s tightly integrated with the core data model and multi-tenancy features.
- Integration – An extremely robust and powerful design pattern for integration of multiple applications. The Surge integration system is built on sets of lightweight, loosely coupled services which exchange information using standardized messages. Support for common data exchange formats such as HL7 and EDI are standard right out of the box.
- Reporting Services – Integrates SQL Server Reporting Services in an attractive, user friendly UI.
- Search – A modular component for searching, sorting, and filtering tabular data, with the ability to save search criteria.
SUPPORT AND DEVELOPMENT
Deployment & Integration Options
Everything you need to get VA Survey up and running.
- Integrate with Your Existing Platform: We can integrate with dozens of third party platforms, including: Microsoft Dynamics CRM, QuickBooks, Salesforce, custom-built software, and other common association management systems.
Get help when you need it.
- Team 360: Continual access to a team of industry veterans including in subscription.
- Email: Email support is available 24/7.
- Phone: Phone support is available during regular business hours, for an additional cost.
Flexible setups to fit your budget and hosting needs.
- Subscription: Includes updates for the duration of the subscription.
- Fixed-Cost Development: Firm fixe cost with additional charge for future updates/enhancements.
Our software is easy to use, and we can assist you in setting it up in line with our best practices.
- Remote via Go To Meeting